April 15, 2008

Honey Mustard Glazed Tofu

I found out today that WTVS, our local PBS station isn't airing King Corn until Sunday! I was really looking forward to watching it tonight, but at least I have it all set up to tape now.

Today's recipe was developed because of my addiction to Honey Mustard and Onion Pretzel Crisps. I had to stop buying them because I'd end up eating a whole bag in one day. They are so good! This baked tofu gives me the same flavor but the tofu is hearty enough that one portion is satisfying. The key to my recipe is not to use prepared mustard because the vinegar flavor is too harsh. Instead, I use one of my favorite spices, Coleman's Double Superfine Mustard Powder. I love using a pinch of Coleman's in vinaigrettes and anything with pork (chops, roasts, BBQ rubs). It has heat without the sharpness of prepared mustard. I usually use agave syrup in this recipe because it is thinner than honey and mixes easier, but honey works too. If you are in southeast Michigan I highly recommend buying Panda Brand Tofu. It's a local company, Michigan Soy Products from Royal Oak, and their tofu has the best flavor and texture.

Honey Mustard Glazed Tofu Recipe
Serves 2-3
Spicy, sweet and chewy tofu that is good with steamed veggies or even tossed into a green salad.

Ingredients
16 oz (1lb) of firm tofu (Asian style, not silken)
2 tablespoons light agave syrup or light honey
1 tablespoon neutral oil
1 tablespoon warm water
2 tablespoons of mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne, or more to taste

Directions
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (I use a convection oven so you may need to raise the temperature slightly on a non-convection).
-Drain the water from the tofu and slice into 1/2 inch thick squares then slice the squares into triangles. Set aside on a paper towel while you make the glaze.
-In an oven-safe glass pie plate or baking dish mix together the mustard powder, oil, water, garlic, salt, cayenne and agave syrup or honey. Place the tofu into the glaze and turn a few times to coat. Lay the tofu flat in one layer.
-Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Carefully remove the dish from the oven and turn the tofu to coat again. This time try and stand up the tofu triangles on end so they have a point sticking up.
-Place the dish back in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove the dish from the oven again and again turn the tofu in the thickened glaze that is on the bottom of the dish. Stand up the tofu with a different point up to get even browning. Bake for 10 more minutes.
-Remove the dish from the oven and eat.

Honey Mustard Glazed Tofu Recipe on GroupRecipes